HERO RACE 2018



WHY?

Remi was always interested in this race (one of the most challenging in the world: 85 km and 4500 m elevation gain) that I had completed in 2013 (short version) and 2104 (long version).  See "How to become a hero" on this blog.  During his last visit in Italy he wanted us to do it together in june 2018, realizing it was the last year I was likely to complete it. He had read about it on my blog and really wanted to participate. In spite of my hesitations I accepted to do it, insisting on the fact that my completing the race was in no way a sure thing. We signed up for the event in time to be accepted among the 4018 candidates.
Their web site provides all details on the event:  http://www.herodolomites.com/en/race/sellaronda-hero-marathon?set_language=en 
I had done that race in 2014, completed it in 11hr 17 minutes but was disqualified for not starting with the right group. It felt disappointing and I was willing to try it once more to be classified as a finisher.


PREPARATIONS

I am mountain biking regularly with a local group all year round but, knowing the challenge of the race, knew I had a lot of progress to make. A medical intervention in october stopped me from biking for two months but I was told I should be OK for june. Serious training started in the winter in spite of less than optimum weather and reduced physical condition. I immediately realized I was far from ready for such an intense race. Slowly I started to match the « performances » (quite a big word!) of my 2014 training. I should say that in 2014 I finished but with only 15 minutes to spare before they closed the race. A 4 days trip along the alta via degli monti liguri (www.altaviainfoh24.com) offered a real-life test and confirmed I was quite far from my 2014 physical condition: 2018 was going to be a real challenge and completing in time far from a sure thing.



APRIL SURPRISE

Rémi and Marie Pier expect the arrival of a child with a due date of mid july and Rémi could not really be away so close to the delivery and reluctantly (and with many hesitations) cancelled his participation. I hesitated quite a bit but since I had already done all this training decided to go on.



JUNE

Fortunately I could go to valgardena with my friend massimo who was happy to do the driving to my relief (it is a 7 hours drive and I was dreading having to drive back after the race).
Valgardena still as clean as I remembered it and crowded with athletic looking mountain bikers with their fancy bikes, again I felt definitively at the low end of the field, in term of both material (my bike is more oriented toward touring than racing) and physical condition.

The weather forecast was good for the day with sunny conditions, no rain, no wind and mild temperatures: ideal mountain bike weather. The track had been well groomed in spite of a few places where there was still some snow and mud.

Inscription as efficient as always, and I got to pick Rémi's goodies bag without any problem.
We met friends of massimo from spoleto and had dinner together (excellent papardelle al capriolo and mixed vegetables for me) antipasto and pizza for the italians.

Friends from Massa Martana and Spoleto
(massimo, ilario, simone, jacques, alessandro, massimiliano, gianmario)

Signing in

Plenty of mountain bikes (and bikers)

My number

Sella ronda mountain view from Selva di Valgardena


Starting line
My starting group



Sellaronda

Late afternoon light


My starting time was 07:45 and they close the race at 19:15, so my maximum time to be qualified was 11 hours and 30 minutes, quite close to the 11 hours 17 it took me last time. 

I started in my group (unlike last time!) and off we were up Dantercepies the first of the four major passes of the race. It took me a few more minutes than 2014 and it felt OK. The second hill at campolongo was also OK but I was 20 minutes behind 2014 times. The difficult climb of ornella was all done on foot, as all the other participants around me and I recovered some time at the Pordoi but certainly not enough to linger and admired the panorama. The downhills were as technical as before and were all done on foot.

The climb to the Duron was quite hard and slow but I was still only 5 minutes behind 2014's times. However I started to be worried about time specially considering there was one last hill to climb and strength was diminishing fast. The descent from Duron was done full speed and it took me 45 minutes to clear the next hill. 30 minutes left before closing time: it was going to be very tight. The 2 or 3 minor hills left were all done on foot and I arrived at one km from the finish line with 7 minutes to spare. Arrived at 19:13! I DID IT. Exhausted but happy.

P.S.  funny thing: my finish rank is the same as my starting number: 1666!!! (In fact it was corrected to 1667 later)


Washing machine material!


Phone calls from aimée, betsy and rémi who had followed the race on internet and were duly impressed.

At the finish line some organiser came and asked me to be present at the award ceremony since I was going to win a prize as the oldest participant having completed the race ever (prize was a week-end for two at one of the local luxury hotel: nice) Only problem: there was no food left at the pasta party and though the beer massimo offered me was delicious I was famished. Hardly did I received my prize I rushed to a restaurant for a pasta and beer.


Proud hero (my starting number was my finishing rank!)

Prize ceremony

Course and profile


My prize


Good night rest and a hot drive back to torraccia with massimo doing all the driving while I dozed on and off.



CONCLUSION

I was glad to have done it and was impressed with the fact it took me only ten minutes more than in 2014 to complete the race.  It was certainly the hardest challenge I have had so far. Training and mental endurance do not eliminate the physical limitations of age. It is done, it is over, no more races, just sunday morning rides and excursions at a leisurely pace in the future.


Results 2018 vs 2014

Times 2018

times 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment